How to Install a Car Seat Using the Lower Anchors System
LATCH, which stands for “Lower Anchors and Tethers for Children”, is designed to make proper car seat installation easier. LATCH is standard in all cars manufactured after September 1, 2002, and eliminates the need for the use of vehicle seat belts to secure car seats. The LATCH system consists of two lower anchors and a tether anchor. Vehicle manufacturers are required to provide two sets of lower anchors and three tether anchor positions in each vehicle. These anchors are specifically designed to connect to the lower anchor connectors and tether connectors found on car seats.
Using the lower anchors:
- Always read the car seat's instructions and vehicle's owner's manual for proper use and correct installation information.
- If necessary, adjust the car seat lower anchor attachments according to the manufacturer's instructions.
- Locate the vehicle's lower anchorages and connect the car seat's lower anchor attachments to the bars. Tighten according to manufacturer's instructions, and check for a secure fit.
- There are multiple types of lower anchor attachments. For more information about Evenflo’s SureLATCH system
- For rear-facing car seats, you will only use the lower anchors. For forward-facing car seat installation, you will need to use both the lower anchors and the tether anchor.
- Hook the car seat's tether to the vehicle's tether anchorage and pull to tighten.
- Car seats should not move more than an inch forward or sideways at the belt path.
Do the lower anchors have weight limits?
Yes. The weight limits vary depending on the car seat you are using. If your car seat was manufactured after February 27, 2014, there will be a label on the side of your seat that states at what weight your child must stop using the lower anchors and switch to a car seat installation with the vehicle seat belt system. If you are using an Evenflo car seat that was manufactured before February 27, 2014, you can refer to the table below for lower anchor weight limits:
|Evenflo Car Seat Model Name
|| Lower Anchor Weight Limit
*These seats can be used with the lower anchors to the maximum harness weight limit.
Still have questions regarding LATCH? Check out our article "Getting to Know LATCH".